May 17, 2010

Certified? Yeah, so what?

In his two latest blog posts (here and here), James Bach again talks about ISEB/ISTQB certifications and how bogus he thinks they are. I couldn't agree more. Sure, I am ISTQB certified myself, but even before I attended that three day course (which for me turned out to be a two day course, being sick the first day) I knew that what was going to be presented to me wasn't the truth. Well, not the ONLY truth anyway.

I learned some things from this course, I admit that. But there were also other things that felt completely outdated and irrelevant. Nonetheless, I'm happy I attended (and even happier I didn't have to pay for it myself) since I'm of the opinion that lessons can be learned anywhere and everywhere. I like to read and learn about many different techniques, approaches and methodologies and mix them together where I see fit. Take a few goodies here and a few goodies there...